In March 2013, the Food Bank of Iowa launched our mobile pantry program!
A mobile pantry is a farmer’s market style distribution targeted toward counties with a need for additional pantry service. Mobile pantries provide an additional strategy toward bridging the food assistance gap, specifically in rural counties in our service area, by providing an additional access point for food.
The need for a mobile pantry is based upon the amount of food being distributed by our partners in a county while also taking in to account the total number of partner agencies in a particular area.
The mobile pantry program has two key focus areas:
- The primary focus is to distribute fresh produce, protein, and non-perishable items to counties in our service area where pantry access does not exist or resources are very limited – particularly to our more rural areas.
- Second is to spotlight communities where hunger needs are not being met to build awareness of the issue and hopefully lead to more permanent solutions.
Our program began with distribution to four sites: Bedford, Casey, Iowa Falls and Stanhope, with one distribution each quarter. In our second year, we grew to 8 distribution sites. In 2014-15, we will double the number of distribution sites!
If you are a Food Bank of Iowa Partner Agency or a community organization with interest in hosting a mobile pantry in the future, please contact Trish O'Brien Edwards, program coordinator at 515-564-0330.
2015 Mobile Pantry Schedule (NOTE: This schedule is updated throughout the year)
- Spencer (Clay County): 4-6 p.m. at the Seventh Day Adventist Church, 1910 10th Avenue E
February 24, May 19, August 25, November 17
- Northwood (Worth County): 5-7 p.m. at the Northwood Community Center, 826 Central Avenue
March 9, June 8
- Exira (Audubon County): 4:30-5:30 p.m. at the Exira Rec Center, 106 N. Jefferson Street
- Odebolt (Sac County): 4:30-5:30 p.m. at the Odebolt Community Center, 605 1st Avenue N
April 16, November 19
- Perry (Dallas County): 10 a.m. to Noon at the Crossroads Church, 2810 1st Avenue
January 10, March 7, May 2
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal and, where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department.
Click here to download the Mobile Pantry Operations Manual
Click here to download the Mobile Pantry Operations Agreement